Food Scrap Composting In YOUR Community Starts HERE.
Composting food scraps supports goals for healthy soils, reduces carbon emissions, and diverts organics from landfills.
Whether your community already has yard waste composting and is scaling to include food waste or you’re looking to establish a new food waste composting facility or community composing site in your area, Target Organics is your resource hub!
Use this Hub of tools and resources to successfully plan, open, and operate a food scraps-accepting compost facility, and then to strategically market the final compost product.
The Importance of Compost & Composting
Why Bring Food Scrap Composting To Your Community Climate Planning?
• Reduce GHG Emissions
• Increase Drought Resilience
• Prevent erosion during extreme storm events
• Sequesters carbon
• Reduce waste infrastructure burdens
• Can reduce synthetic chemical land applications
• Supports local jobs and businesses
Healthy Soil Solutions
• Improves growing environments with porosity, better soil structure & density
• Feeds soil with macro and micro nutrients
• Supplies beneficial microorganisms and organic matter to soil
Where are you in your journey?
“We understand composting; we’re ready to set up a program!”
- We need to figure out what fits our community
- We need to figure out how much food scrap is in our community
- We need to find a place to take the food scrap for composting
- We need to figure out budgets
Check out the Planning section for steps to take
“Our community doesn’t have a facility nearby. What do we do next?”
- How do we know if our community is prepared to attract a compost facility?
- I want to establish a compost facility, either for my city/county or a private one
- We need to know what setting up a facility will involve
Learn about what you need to consider in the Site Development section.
“We have a program and facilities but we are afraid of contamination and confusion about what people put in the bin.”
- I want to know best practices for educating to keep out contamination
- We want to take compostable products. Where do we start?
- How do we measure our success?
Find the answers to these questions in the Outreach section.
“We want to know more about what to do with the compost that comes from our facility and our program.”
- Should we sell or give away our product?
- We want to be sure our product is good for gardens and other uses
- What are different uses for compost?
The Compost Market section is the place for information on compost as a product.