Regulations regarding compost production vary from state to state; however, many of them follow related solid waste regulations.
These regulations are designed to protect public health, safety and the environment and can be a significant part of a facility’s operating cost. Keep these factors in mind when applying for a permit:
- The type of material/feedstocks accepted and processed
- The volume of material accepted and processed on site
- Zoning and land use compatibility
- Common regulatory challenges
- Odor issues
- Stormwater violations
- Truck traffic
- Poor/incomplete recordkeeping
- Land use/zoning violations
See USCC’s State Regulations page for information on your state.