Branded promotion and education lead to increased sales.
Target a specific audience. Targeting specific market segments should be determined based on type of feedstocks being used, screening and blending capabilities, and market demands.
Develop a product identity. Then, be consistent so your customers know what to expect. Developing a product identity should align with your customer’s expectations, including but not limited to:
▪ Lack of contamination
▪ Feedstock ratios
▪ Sieve sizes
▪ Post-composting blend profile
Testing analysis. Consider participating in the USCC’s STA Program: utilizing qualified labs to test your finished product will provide proper analysis including the STA Compost Technical Data Sheet. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.compostingcouncil.org/resource/resmgr/images/Sample_Current_CTDS.pdf
▪ Does this test result show that your product meets the needs of your customers?
▪ Do you need to alter any of your production methods to make your product more
Develop product utilization guidelines. It’s a simple but effective way to strengthen your product in the marketplace while protecting your business and help ensure clear and correct use of compost products. https://www.compostingcouncil.org/page/directionsforuse
Develop product branding. Product Branding will help creating stronger product awareness. Establishing a product logo will increase product identity, creating customer awareness and confidence in your product(s). https://www.compostingcouncil.org/page/CompostManufacturersSTABenefitsMarketing
▪ Branding and logos should be determined based on customer and market needs, per the product(s) being marketed.
▪ Consider “logoed” giveaway items to help develop awareness of your product(s) such as:
• Hats, tee-shirts, pens, coffee mugs
▪ Create brochures and other point of purchase materials for each product to help educate customers on the benefits of utilizing your compost.
▪ Product utilization guidelines. Creating product utilization guidelines will help
ensure proper application of your compost. This will result in higher satisfaction
with the results achieved.
▪ Compost technical data sheets support product utilization guidelines with lab results. https://www.compostingcouncil.org/page/UnderstandingCTDS
- Plan research and demonstration projects. Consider demonstration projects or research programs so your customers will gain a stronger understanding of how our product preforms in various applications.
- Use testimonials. Obtaining and utilizing customer testimonials will create strong confidence in your products and help increase sales.